Everything You Want to Know About Brazilian Coffee!

Everything You Want to Know About Brazilian Coffee!

For the last 150 years, Brazil has been the largest producer of coffee in the world. The country produces about 1/3 of all the coffee in the world.

Brazil has about 6.7 million acres of coffee plants, with around 290,000 coffee farmers. Coffee was introduced in the country in the 18th century, with the first bush being planted in 1727, in Para.

Coffee cultivation spread in the country over the years, as it was perceived to be a profitable cash crop.

Best Regions In Brazil To Grow Coffee

Coffee accounts for around 10% of Brazil’s exports. The industry provides about 8 million employment opportunities for Brazilian people. It is grown in the southern states of Minas Gerais, Rondonia, Espirito Santa, Parana, and Sao Paulo. Minas Gerais has the largest coffee plantations in the whole country of Brazil.

Brazilian coffee is harvested from May through September. Two major species of coffee are grown in Brazil: Arabica and Robusta. Arabica is the most widely cultivated species, with about 80% being this species. The other 20% of Brazilian coffee plants are Robusta. If you want more details regarding Brazilian Arabica vs Robusta, check out Jiale Coffee.

The Harvesting of Brazilian Coffee Beans

In Brazil, coffee is harvested in one annual harvest, usually done after all the berries are ripe. The dry processing method is used to process almost all the coffee harvested in Brazil.

The berries are cleaned and allowed to dry in the sun, between 8-14 days. When dry, the outer layer is removed in a process called hulling. The hulled beans are then sorted, graded, and packed, ready for export.

Arabica is of higher quality than Robusta. This is what makes Brazilian coffee very marketable around the world, because of its supreme quality.

Arabica has less caffeine than Robusta; it is less bitter, and has more lipids and sugars. It is preferred over Robusta, in terms of flavor, because Robusta is more bitter, has higher acidity, and has a strong, flat taste.

Brazilian coffee is famed because of its delicious flavor, low acidity, and moderate caffeine levels. It is the only other country, apart from Ethiopia, that has a high domestic consumption of coffee.

About 98% of Brazilian households drink coffee. Brazilian coffee is exported around the world. If unprocessed, it is exported duty-free to Japan, the European Union, and the United States.

These are the three largest markets of Brazilian coffee. When processed, a tax of 7.5% to 10% applies. Processed coffee is mostly exported either as instant coffee, or roasted coffee beans.

Brazilian coffee is a complete package. Different grades of coffee are cultivated in this country. Grown in grasslands and non-volcanic soils are the cheap, lower quality coffees. This is mostly mass produced for quantity over quality.

Then there is the coffee grown in fertile volcanic soil and highlands, which is of premium quality. It is a more expensive coffee, and is used to produce elegant coffee that is enjoyed around the world.

Brazilian coffee is the best you can find anywhere in the world. With its medium-bodied, low acidity, great flavor and amazing aroma, it has been a choice for many throughout the centuries. Next time you want a cup of coffee, why not insist on Brazilian coffee.

Leave a Comment